Let’s face it. Intellectual property law can be confusing, even overwhelming. That’s why the WSL’s State Publications Librarian Karen Kitchens put together the list of resources below. Download these helpful items for basic information about patent, trademark, and copyright law. Please remember that these guides provide a very basic overview. Always consult an attorney for legal assistance.
Intellectual Property Resource Downloads
- Intellectual Property Overview with Links (Word doc)
- Intellectual Property Chart (Word doc)
- Patents, Trademarks, and Copyright Handout (Word doc)
- Fair Use Checklist from Columbia University (PDF)
Intellectual Property Resource Websites
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Patent and Trademark Resource Centers
- Wyoming’s Patent and Trademark Resource Center
- Office of Education and Outreach USPTO kids’ page
This site contains events and educational opportunities for children, teens, families, and educators. Available resources include downloadable Build/Make Invention projects, activities hosted by the USPTO, downloadable wallpaper, educational videos, and links to other IP resources. Parents and teachers can access IP resources specifically designed for Elementary, Middle, and High School kids.
- USPTO Science of Innovation Video Series
The Science of Innovation project was developed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in collaboration with the National Science Foundation and NBC Learn. The series explores the process of innovation through the eyes of scientists, engineers, and inventors.
- Videos for 6-12 Grade Students
3-D Printing, Biofuels, Biometrics, Driverless Cars, and many others.
Downloadable Activities for Kids
- USPTO Ms. Pat Pending Coloring Book – Easy Level (PDF)
- USPTO Inventors Coloring Book – Easy Level (PDF)
- USPTO T. Markey Coloring Book – Easy Level (PDF)
- USPTO Make Your Own Mechanical Grasper – Medium Level (PF)
- USPTO Model Rocket Making and Launching Activity – Medium Level (PDF)
- USPTO Make Your Own Animated Film Flipbook – Medium Level (PDF)
- USPTO Make Your Own Container – Medium Level (PDF)
- USPTO Make Your Own Lung Model – Medium Level (PDF)
- USPTO Spot the Invention Activity – Teens
- USPTO Trademark Activity Book – Medium Level (PDF)
- USPTO How Sound Travels – Teens (PDF)
- Inspired by Nature – Biomimicry – Medium Level and Teens (PDF)
A collaboration between the United States Patent and Trademark Office and Inside the Outdoors, a program of the Orange County Department of Education.
- USPTO Download Wallpaper
- WIPO World Intellectual Property Organization Links
- Building Respect for Copyright
Supported by funds-in-trust provided by the Republic of Korea, consists of five units designed for children aged 10 to 15 years. The site is available in English and Spanish. Downloadable Teacher’s Support Notes
- Building Respect for Trademarks
Supported by funds-in-trust provided by the Japan Patent Office, offers three units for young people aged 14 to 19 years, focused on the role of trademarks in modern society and the creativity which goes into the development of brands.
* * *
Contact your local library for more information
MORE INFORMATION FOR LIBRARIES
Review the resources we’ve assembled here to promote this resource in your library. These items are intended to assist the promotional efforts of Wyoming librarians as they reach out to their patrons. We hope you find them useful. Feel free to download and distribute according to your needs.
Remember, all these easy-to-use items are brought to you by GoWYLD.net and the Wyoming State Library! It’s all good stuff.
ALA Copy Talk Webinar Archive
CopyTalk is a series of webinars on specific copyright topics that include orphan works, mass digitization, international copyright developments, pending and recent copyright court cases, the copyright implications of new technologies, and more.
More from GoWYLD
Federal Government resources such as Congressional Hearings, Congressional Research Service Reports, Congressional Documents/Reports, bills and laws dealing with IP, Executive Branch documents dealing with IP such as Executive Orders.
- Gale Onefile Legal Trac
Academic journals, magazines, and news regarding IP
Access to Law Journal Library (contains law journal articles on IP), International and Non-US Law Journals, ABA Journals, US Treaties and Agreements Library, and US Presidential Library
For more information, contact Karen Kitchens, State Publications Librarian at email@example.com or (307) 777-7281.
MAC users:you already know what to do, but just in case:enable Secondary Click in System Preferences and tap two fingers on your mouse to make the right click menu appear.