Chris Van Burgh
Database Instruction Librarian
2019 Graduate Institute Held July 19-20
Wyoming Library Leadership Institute graduates attended the first-ever Graduate Institute on July 19-20 in Gillette, Wyoming. It was a time for them to reignite and increase their passion for leadership and collaborate with other grads to create the WLLI Future Plan. Jep Enck, Enck Resources, led the group through the planning process.
The first day was about the individual and the 2nd day about the institute. Jep Enck led the group in a discussion about individual leadership skills. He offered several resources for further exploration on a variety of leadership topics. On Saturday, the graduates compiled the information from their Strategic Implementation Plans and broke into four groups based on the priorities they see for WLLI’s future: Mission, Communication, Regional Awareness, and Finance. Each priority now has a committee with a point person and a plan for the near future.
This year’s participants were:
- Devin Hodgins – Crest Hill Elementary, Library Media Tech in Casper (2018)
- Chris Van Burgh – Wyoming State Library, Database Instruction Librarian (2001-2019)
- Thomas Ivie – Wyoming State Library, Research & Statistics Librarian (2018)
- Rachael Svoboda – Laramie County Library System, Business Services Coordinator (2018)
- Karen Kitchens – Wyoming State Library, State Publications Librarian (2005)
- Tekla Slider – Wyoming State Library, Federal Documents Librarian (2015)
- Elaine Hayes – Laramie County Library System, Assistant Manager, Reference Services/Special Collections Librarian (2004)
- Cindy Moore – Converse County Library, Director (2006)
- Jennifer Kofoed – Converse County Library, Circulation/ILL Manager (2018)
- Mary Borthwick – Campbell County School District 1, Library Media Specialist (2008)
- Becky Prelle – Campbell County Public Library System, Youth Services Coordinator (2018)
- Sara Kuhbacher-Rosier – Campbell County Public Library System, Tech Services Specialist (2013)
- Genevieve Schlekeway – Campbell County Public Library System, Public Information Specialist (2004)
- Megan Dingman – Campbell County School District 1, Coordinator of Library Professional Development (2013)
- Kyouhee Choi Berger – Campbell County Public Library System, Reference Services Specialist (2018)
- Dana Urman – Campbell County Public Library System, Outreach Specialist (2018)
- Anna Street – Campbell County Public Library System, Circulation Services Manager (2013)
- Johanna Tuttle – Campbell County Public Library System, Circulation Services Specialist (2015)
- Darcy Acord – Campbell County Public Library System, Youth Services Librarian (2011)
- Betsy Moore – Friends of the Albany County Public Library, Volunteer Coordinator (2006 & 2007)
- Jacque Strike – Sublette County Library, ILL and Periodicals (2015)
- Maggie Sullivan – Powell Branch Library, ILL and Public Services Manager (2008)
- Sharon Porter – Library Substitute and Volunteer (2008)
- Kimberly Heaster – Crook County Library, Sundance Branch Librarian 2018)
- Tracey Kinnaman – Hot Springs County Library, Director (2004)
WLLI’s 2018 Cohort
The Wyoming Library Leadership Institute cohort has graduated. These 12 participants were selected through a competitive application process.
- Devin Hodgins – Crest Hill Elementary, Library Media Tech (Casper)
- Rachael Svoboda – Laramie County Library System, Business Services Coordinator
- Helen M. Pugsley – Goshen County Library, Circulation/Reference
- Becky M. Prelle – Campbell County Public Library, Youth Services Specialist
- Doug Loughry – Big Piney Library, Branch Manager
- Jana Marie Reade – Cottonwood Elementary, Library Assistant (Wright)
- Kimberly Heaster – Crook County Public Library, Sundance Branch Librarian
- Kyouhee Choi Berger – Campbell County Public Library, Reference Services Specialist
- Rachel “Danielle” Price – Wyoming State Library, Digital Initiatives Librarian
- Thomas Ivie – Wyoming State Library, Research and Statistics Librarian
- Dana Urman – Campbell County Public Library, Outreach Specialist
- Jennifer Kofoed – Converse County Library – Circulation/ILL Manager
The Leadership Institute exists to provide opportunities for learning, mentoring and developing leadership skills to promote the personal and professional growth of the Wyoming library community.
WLLI is a tool for nurturing both degreed and non-degreed individuals in leadership roles. It’s not a workshop on becoming a library director or a workshop on library administration.
Watch for an announcement of the 2020 Institute.
When the application period for the next cohort is announced, individuals associated with all types of libraries (academic, public, school and special) are invited to apply. Trustees, support staff, paraprofessionals, library media specialists and librarians are eligible (trustees must have at least one year remaining in the term of his or her appointment at the time the institute is held). Your leadership role in the Wyoming library community is not based on job title.
The application process is competitive. Those attending are encouraged to take future committee and leadership responsibilities in the Wyoming Library Association (WLA), WYLD Network, educational committees and other library initiatives.
We have been very lucky to have trainers from the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Professional Training, Jep Enck of Enck Resources, Fort Collins, Colorado, and Larry Yatch, a Retired Navy SEAL and Team Performance Expert (SEALed Mindset Leaders) as part of our institute. All have brought their expertise and creativity.