- Know the General Skills Checklist and be signed up for the appropriate email distribution list.
- Know where to find the VDX ILL support page.
- Be familiar with WYLD Technotes.
- Be able to evaluate a request, e.g. be able to determine why a request has idle status, determine its source of origin or if a reference interview is necessary to complete the interlibrary loan (ILL) request due to lack of information.
- Have basic knowledge of electronic resources that are available and how they may be used in filling ILL requests, especially in the processing of article requests.
- Know basic research skills and how to conduct a basic reference interview with a patron.
- Be familiar with help and other expertise within house, and when to contact the Wyoming State Library for assistance.
- Be able to execute the WYLD circulation steps necessary at the beginning and end of an ILL transaction.
- Understand the VDX work process and how it interacts with the WYLD system and OCLC.
- Have a working knowledge of the guidelines and procedures stated in the Statewide ILL Manual and the "Interlibrary Loan Best Practices for Wyoming Libraries" statement.
- Know what document delivery options are available at your library and how to use them.
- Know your library’s interlibrary loan policy, how patrons may access it and who determines when an exception should be allowed.
- Monitor ILL requests to determine library collection needs and communicate that information with appropriate staff.
- Be able to check the status of patron requests in VDX and OCLC (Worldshare).
- Know how to access context sensitive online help in Symphony Workflows.
- Understand how to use the e-journal portal.
- Understand the role of your library’s circulation map and how to view your library’s circulation map online.
- Understand restrictions and limitations regarding copyright and licensing for journal articles in the electronic databases.
- Understand loan vs. copy non-returnable requests in VDX (see VDX help) and the proper way to place a journal article request.
- Know how to access and maintain information for your library in the OCLC ILL policy directory.
- For those libraries using the OCLC (Worldshare) ILL module, understand the OCLC administrative module and how it interacts with VDX.
- Know options that may be available for “non-supplied” requests.
- Know methods to obtain ILL items that are not in VDX or OCLC and/or items in VDX and OCLC that do not have a supplying library.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist.
reviewed April 2019
Comments? Questions? Click Click here for the WYLD online comments form.