print-friendly version | reports technotes
- Know the General Skills checklist and be signed up for the appropriate distribution list.
- Know how to set up and schedule new reports, view and modify scheduled reports, and access finished reports.
- Know how to schedule established templates (without editing).
- Know what time of day reports should be run and the proper timing for report scheduling (don’t schedule more than one at once during the day etc.).
- Know which reports can affect other libraries’ information (use caution).
- Know how to access context sensitive online helps.
- Be familiar with the Reports Technotes.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Office.
- Create and schedule new reports using established reports or by manipulating template reports.
- Follow correct naming structures when creating templates (preface report template with three- or four-letter WYLD acronym for your library).
- Know which reports must be run on a regular basis to maintain your library’s workflow and information.
- Understand the frequency and purpose of the different reports (e.g., ‘count’ versus ‘list’ reports).
- Be able to incorporate finished reports into word processors or spreadsheets and be able to manipulate data in these programs.
- Be able to distinguish between tasks better done with Analytics vs. those which require reports. For example it is better to use Analytics for the Item Statistics Report.
- Understand the impact of configuration issues (user login etc.) on access to reports and know to contact the WYLD Office with questions on this.
- Understand in detail the possible criteria that can be used in running a report and the effect each can have.
- Understand how reports can draw upon data in each module (Bibliographic, Acquisitions, Circulation, etc.) and what data can be cross-referenced.
- Understand how to use output options to change the manner in which a report shows its results.
- Know how to troubleshoot reports using the log file or help function (do not delete a report with which you have had a problem until you are certain you no longer need the information for troubleshooting).
- Know when to contact the WYLD Office to work on special reports that aren’t available from established or template reports.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Office to take advantage of their expertise: someone else may have already asked your question in the past and they may have the answer.
- Know how to get Reports SirsiDynix Manuals. Support Portal login required to view.
reviewed April 2019
Comments? Questions? Click here for the WYLD online comments form.