Bowker’s Syndetics Unbound is an online catalog enrichment service that combines the features of Syndetics Classic and LibraryThing for Libraries. Syndetics Unbound is included in all WYLDcat (Enterprise) sites for WYLD libraries and provides cover images, summaries, professional reviews, and excerpts as well as enhanced readers’ advisory. In addition to the features listed below, Syndetics Unbound users can create widgets that highlight materials in the library’s collections with engaging carousels and image displays. Contact the WYLD Office for more information on how to create widgets for your website.
- Cover images – More than 25 million full-color cover images for multiple formats including books, DVDs, CDs, and video games.
- Summaries – For both fiction and non-fiction titles.
- About the Author – This feature includes a short biography of the author, an author photo, and cover images of other titles by the author with the option to check the availability of these items in WYLD.
- Look Inside – Patrons can preview a book by looking at an excerpt, the first chapters, or a table of contents.
- Series Information – If an item is part of a series, the rest of the series will be displayed, in reading order, with an option to check the availability of these items in WYLD.
- You May Also Like – Patrons can browse through a list of read-alikes based upon data from LibraryThing. The suggestions only include items that the WYLD consortium owns, and patrons can check the availability of these items.
- Professional Reviews – Reviews are from publications such as Library Journal, School Library Journal, The Guardian, Choice, and Publishers Weekly.
- Reader Reviews and Ratings – These vetted ratings and reviews are from LibraryThing members.
- Also Available As – This feature shows other formats and versions of a title, such as translations, print books, and audiobooks.
- Book Profile – A list of clickable terms, based on analysis by Bowker, that cover genres, topics, and settings associated with the selected title.
- Reading Level – Patrons can explore other items with the same Lexile measure, and they can check the availability of these items in WYLD.
- Awards – This feature displays awards a title has won and any awards in which this title was a finalist or nominee. Patrons can also click on an award to see cover images of other finalists, winners, or nominees. Only those items that are owned by WYLD libraries are displayed.
Click here to see an example.
Click here for a downloadable product brochure.
Contact the WYLD Office for more information about Syndetics Unbound.