The Wyoming Library Association and the Wyoming State Literacy Association jointly sponsor the Wyoming Book Awards. Each year, three awards are given: the Buckaroo Book Award for children in grades K-3, the Indian Paintbrush Book Award for children in grades 4-6, and the Soaring Eagle Book Award for youth in grades 7-12. The purpose of these awards is to provide an opportunity for the youth of Wyoming to read and select favorite books and to honor the authors of those books. The 2022-23 winners were recently announced. (Download and share the poster as a JPG or PDF.)
Buckaroo Book Award
- 1st Place: “This Way, Charlie” by Caron Levis
- 2nd Place: “King of the Birds” by Elise Gravel
- 3rd Place: “Snail Crossing” by Corey R. Tabor
Indian Paintbrush Book Award
- 1st Place: “My Life as a Potato” by Arianne Costner
- 2nd Place:“ Scary Stories for Young Foxes” by Christian McKay Heidicker
- 3rd Place: “Ban this Book” by Alan Gratz
Soaring Eagle Book Award
- 1st Place: “I Must Betray You” by Ruta Sepetys
- 2nd Place: “You’ll be the Death of Me” by Karen M. McManus
- 3rd Place: “The Similars” by Rebecca Hanover
In other news, nominees for the 2023-24 contest have been picked! Wyoming’s K-12 students will have the opportunity to read from the list and vote for their favorites next school year. Resources for librarians to promote the contest will be coming soon.
Learn more about the awards on the Wyoming Library Association website.