With the passage of the Every Student Succeeds Act in December, library media specialists may be asking how it affects them. According to School Library Journal, the legislation is the first in 50 years to provide revenue for school libraries in support of services and resources.
The outcome may not be seen for some time, but school librarians may be interested in both learning more about it and in what steps they can take to advocate for their own library. Some recommended reading:
- ESSA—and Federal Support of School Libraries—Signed Into Law (School Library Journal, December 9, 2015)
- ALA’s ESSA Report Reveals Advocacy Plan (School Library Journal, January 6, 2016)
- ALA Washington Office’s report, Opportunities for School Librarians
- Wyoming Department of Education FAQ on Accountability
The Wyoming State Library maintains a collection of library science materials available to you at WSL or through interlibrary loan. Some titles of interest for school library advocacy include:
- Partnering with purpose : a guide to strategic partnership development for libraries and other organizations
Janet L. Crowther, Barry Trott. Westport, Conn. : Libraries Unlimited, 2004.
- Grassroots library advocacy : a special report
Lauren Comito, Aliqae Geraci, Christian Zabriskie. Chicago : American Library Association, , ©2012.
- School libraries matter : views from the research
Mirah J. Dow, editor. Santa Barbara, California : Libraries Unlimited, 2013.
- The indispensable librarian : surviving and thriving in school libraries in the information age, 2nd ed.
Doug Johnson ; illustrations by Brady Johnson. Santa Barbara, California : Linworth, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2013.
- Being indispensable : a school librarian’s guide to becoming an invaluable leader
Ruth Toor and Hilda K. Weisburg. Chicago : American Library Association, 2011.
- Building influence for the school librarian : tenets, targets & tactics, 2nd ed.
Gary Hartzell. Edition: 2nd ed. Publication info: Worthington, Ohio : Linworth Pub., c2003.
- Leadership and the school librarian : essays from leaders in the field
[compiled by] Mary D. Lankford. Worthington, Ohio : Linworth Pub., c2006.
- Public relations for school library media programs : 500 ways to influence people and win friends for your school library media center
Helen F. Flowers. New York : Neal-Schuman Publishers, 1998.
- Make a big impact at your school board meeting
Margaux DelGuidice and Rose Luna. Santa Barbara, California : Linworth, ©2012.
Find more titles from our collection in WYLDCAT, or check out our Pinterest boards. Questions? Contact Paige Bredenkamp, WSL school library consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 777-6331.