Thanks to the University of Wyoming Libraries, Equality State residents have access to Academic Video Online (AVON) through GoWYLD.net.
Academic Video Online makes available video material with curricular relevance: documentaries, interviews, performances, news programs and newsreels, and more. Search for award-winning films including Academy®, Emmy®, and Peabody® winners and access content from PBS, BBC, 60 MINUTES, National Geographic, Annenberg Learner, BroadwayHD™,and A+E Networks’ HISTORY®.
Go to GoWYLD.net and select Academic Video Online from the Browse by Title list. If you are accessing from home you will need to enter your public library card number and PIN.
You can search names or titles. For better results. use quotation marks. For example, search “Finding Your Roots” or “Jodie Foster.” The search for Jodie Foster will result in the Reel HERstory series as well as the movie, Carnage (the WHOLE movie!).
Public Performance Rights
Films available in Academic Video Online include limited public performance rights, which includes permission for classroom showings, as well as public screenings, as long as no admission is being charged. Film Platform titles are excluded.
Explore These Topics
A few ideas to check out:
- “Where it’s Made” (Lego factory, Sriracha hot sauce, for example)
- “Yo Yo Ma”
- “Great British Baking Show” (Season 5)
- Quilts (results examples: A History of Amish Quilts, slave quilts, the AIDS quilt)
- “Country Music” pbs (Ken Burns’ film, all 7 full episodes)
- PBS (NOVA, Finding Your Roots, PBS Newshour, Alan Alda in Scientific American Frontiers, The Great American Read, Cucina Amore, Art in the Twenty-first Century, Crash Course in World History, Masterpiece, Nature)
Academic Video Online is available in your local library (except for the community colleges) and remotely with your Wyoming library card and pin. For more information check with your library or contact Chris Van Burgh, Database Instruction Librarian at the Wyoming State Library, firstname.lastname@example.org.