Remember your local library today on #GivingTuesday. Following Thanksgiving and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, this year’s #GivingTuesday kicks off the holiday’s charitable season.
Libraries serve all members of their communities, putting them in touch with the information, computer access, literacy and education programs, and entertainment they need. Local donations of time, talent, and treasure often make the difference between an adequate library and an excellent library. If you love your library, you can help by:
- Volunteering — ask the library about opportunities.
- Writing a letter to the editor in support of your library.
- If you have one, joining the Friends of the Library group
- Telling your friends about library services they might not know about, like ebooks and electronic resources
- Advocating for library services with elected officials
- Making a tax-exempt donation to the library, Friends group, or library foundation
Easiest of all — use your library! And don’t forget to bring your kids and grandkids to raise the next generation of avid readers and library supporters.