from Tina Jayroe, Lander Library Branch Manager
During the month of October, Fremont County Library System-Lander hosted a traveling exhibit about Wyoming’s historic Carnegie libraries. The project was developed by the Alliance for Historic Wyoming.
Lander is one of the original 16 Carnegie libraries in the state of Wyoming and still functions as an integral part of the library’s operations. It opened its doors in 1909 thanks to a contribution of $15,000 for the construction of the building from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It is still treasured and used by the City of Lander as a social and educational meeting place.
Part of the exhibit included hosting speaker Barbara Bogart, an expert on historical Wyoming, who — in the Carnegie Room — enlightened attendees about Mr. Carnegie’s intentions, the subtle architectural changes over time of the various “Carnegies,” and the state of the original 16 Wyoming Carnegies (only 10 are still in existence). There was a lovely Q&A discussion and a trip down memory lane for those who recalled the previous functions of the library, and its consistent role as a community center.
Lander Library would like to thank a few local residents who contributed significantly to the success of the exhibit: Julie Baehr, Tamara Anderson, Lander Library Friends Association, and Alan Culver. The exhibit now travels to its next showing at the Wyoming Business Alliance conference in Cheyenne on November 10 and 11.
For more information about Lander’s Carnegie library, email email@example.com for a copy of the article “Origins of Fremont County Library Date to 1906” written by Barbara Oakleaf and published by the Wind River Mountaineer.