May is Mental Health Month, and libraries can help with authoritative, reliable health information. This list of helpful resources was prepared by Park County Library Reference Librarian Nicholle Gerharter.
- General nonfiction collection
- Dewey Decimal range 610-618, generally
- Search your local Wyoming library’s catalog at wyld.ent.sirsi.net.
- Confidential interactions — information, not medical advice
- Submit purchase recommendations
- Interlibrary loan when appropriate
Library Online Resources
- Online card catalog searchable at wyld.ent.sirsi.net. Search, place holds, request loans, view your account.
- New card catalog app, in your mobile device app store. It’s called WYLDCAT. Search, place holds, request loans, view your account. Digital library barcode works on self-checkout machines.
- Research databases online at GoWYLD.net, scroll to Health & Medicine
- Health & Wellness Resource Center – Carefully compiled and trusted medical reference materials including hundreds of health/medical journals, videos, pamphlets and a broad collection of reference titles
- Alt Healthwatch – Focuses on the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness
- Consumer Health Complete – Comprehensive resource for consumer-oriented health content, designed to support the information needs of patients and to foster an overall understanding of health-related topics
- Book recommendations online at GoWYLD.net, scroll to Recommended Reading
- NoveList Plus – For fiction and nonfiction. Describe a plot, receive author readalikes, find reviews, download book discussion guides, and more
Unbiased Internet Resources
- MedlinePlus: medlineplus.gov
- National Institutes of Health website for patients, families and friends in reader-friendly language. Includes information about treatments, drugs and supplements, procedures, research, clinical trials and more. Videos, illustrations, directories, and a medical encyclopedia included. No advertising and no endorsements.
- National Institute of Mental Health: nimh.nih.gov
- Lead federal agency for research on mental disorders. Their mission is “to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illness through basic and clinical research, paving the way for prevention, recovery, and cure.” Includes overviews, signs & symptoms, risk factors, treatments & therapies, studies and more
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health: nccih.nih.gov
- Lead federal agency for “scientific research on the diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products that are not generally considered part of conventional medicine.”
- DailyMed: dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed
- Trustworthy information about marketed drugs and official provider of FDA label information. A standard, comprehensive, up-to-date, look-up and download resource of medication content and labeling found in medical package inserts.