In July, new members were added to library boards and started settling into their roles. There’s a lot to learn to be an effective trustee. Whether you are just starting or an experienced hand on your board, remember that the Wyoming State Library offers you the following resources:
- Trustee Trouble videos – a humorous look at the pitfalls you might face.
- 101 Things to Know or Do as a Wyoming County Library Board Member – a quick-start booklet filled with helpful tips covering the basics.
- Library Laws – extracted Wyoming statutes of relevance to libraries. The 2016 version was just published on July 1, incorporating changes from the most recent session.
- The WSL Professional Collection – need to read up on a library topic? We might just have a book for you! See new titles on our Pinterest board, search WYLDCAT for all materials, or contact Paige Bredenkamp at firstname.lastname@example.org or (307) 777-6331 to find information on a specific topic.
- The State Library’s Library Development Office – we are always glad to answer your questions!
If you are already on the board, particularly if you are the board president, it is a good idea to make sure new members have a solid orientation. You can find a good suggested list of items on pages 7 and 8 of the Iowa Library Trustee’s Handbook 2014.