Annually, the Wyoming Library Association and the Wyoming State Literacy Association jointly sponsor three awards: the Buckaroo Book Award for children in grades K-3, the Indian Paintbrush Book Award for children in grades 4-6, and the Soaring Eagle Book Award for youth in grades 7-12. The purpose of these awards is to provide an opportunity for the youth of Wyoming to read and select favorite books and to honor the authors of those books.
Thanks to all the participating libraries and for those who encouraged students to read and vote! Our congratulations go out to this year’s winners.
Buckaroo Book Awards
- Winner: Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean’s Most Fearless Scientist by Jess Keating
- 1st Runner-Up: Stay: A Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List by Kate Klise
- 2nd Runner-Up: Grumpy Monkey by Suzanne Lang
Indian Paintbrush Book Awards
- Winner: Hero by Jennifer Li Shotz
- 1st Runner-Up: Resistance by Jennifer Nielse
- 2nd Runner-Up: Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart
Soaring Eagle Book Awards
- Winner: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- 1st Runner-Up: One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
- 2nd Runner-Up: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir