Since its inception in late April of 2010, Government Book Talk’s mission has been to “spotlight the amazing variety of government publications and their impact on ourselves and our world – and have fun while doing it.” Well, over one million page views (and counting) later, they’ve done just that.
Over the past eight years, Government Book Talk has featured over 438 new and popular Federal publications covering current events and topics that affect the lives of all Americans, from military history, to smart health tips on improving one’s diet, to important news and guidance on issues affecting our daily lives such as personal finances, education, and much more.
According to page views, here are the top 20 subjects highlighting publications featured in Government Book Talk:
- Hawks vs. Doves: The Joint Chiefs and the Cuban Missile Crisis (31,176)
- Quiz and History for Bill of Rights Day December 15 (28,316)
- Radio 101: Operating Two-Way Radios Every Day and in Emergencies (25,616)
- Gettysburg: America’s Bloodiest Battle (19,221)
- Tracking “Big Red One”: NORAD’s Secret Santa Mission (18,122)
- The Underground Railroad Leaves its Tracks in History (16,199)
- Arming the Fleet: The Compelling Story of a Secret Naval Base in the Desert (16,044)
- The U.S. Military Storms to the Rescue in Foreign Disaster Relief (14,446)
- Reagan, Intelligence, and the End of the Cold War (11,318)
- The History of eBooks from 1930’s “Readies” to Today’s GPO eBook Services (9,783)
- A Plum Book of Political Positions (9,288)
- Going “GAGAS” for the GAO Yellow Book (8,168)
- Go-to-Guide on Hazardous Materials for First Responders(7,560)
- Code Talkers: How American Indians Have Helped Fight Wars (7,129)
- Fun With the GPO Style Manual (6,675)
- The All-in-One Guide to All Federal Assistance Programs(5,875)
- Quiz: Are You Smarter Than an 8th Grade Civics Student? (5,613)
- A Top Ten List of Funny Federal Titles (5,474)
- The Privacy Act: What the Government Can Collect and Disclose About You (5,378)
- CIA’s Word Factbook: Global Intelligence for Every Thinker, Traveler, Soldier, Spy (5,169)
Federal publications offer a wealth of knowledge to help us understand and appreciate the world we live in. Visit the U.S. Government Bookstore website to find all the publications (and more) featured in Government Book Talk. You can also find more than a million official Federal Government publications from all three branches at www.govinfo.gov or stop in at one of Wyoming’s seven Federal depository libraries, including the Wyoming State Library.