Today is National STEM/STEAM Day, highlighting science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics and encouraging young people to explore these fields.
It’s easy to “STEAM it UP” with GoWYLD.net resources, as the Wyoming State Library’s Chris Van Burgh and Paige Bredenkamp explore in this video from our training archives:
This tour of databases includes:
- SIRS Discoverer – An award-winning general reference resource for beginning learners and researchers in grades 1-9. Includes several hundred nonfiction reference books.
- BookFlix – A literacy resource for grades PreK-3 that pairs classic fictional video storybooks with related eBooks.
- Zinio Digital Magazines (now RB Digital) – more than 100 full content magazines. Please note: the Ask magazine featured in the video is no longer available, but you may wish to explore National Geographic Kids and National Geographic Little Kids, or the numerous magazines for adults focused on science.
- Science in Context (Gale) – An engaging online experience for those seeking information on hundreds of today’s most significant science topics. Science in Context merges Gale’s authoritative reference content with full-text magazines, academic journals, news articles, experiments, images, and more. Supports high school curricula and university coursework.
- Britannica Library – Find information in encyclopedias, magazines, videos, and websites. Content includes learning materials, a dictionary and thesaurus, atlases, timelines, and other features. Britannica School offers content targeted towards varying grade levels.
You can find even more on the Science & Technology database topic page and in our Research Guide to Science Sources in GoWYLD.net. Access to all the GoWYLD.net databases is available free for every Wyoming resident, both in your local library and remotely.