The Wyoming State Library has an opening for an experienced systems administrator with the skills necessary to maintain and enhance the hosted SirsiDynix Symphony system and integrated applications used by the statewide consortium of libraries. This position is highly collaborative and interacts with a variety of staff and vendors to support the core functions of the library system and its ILS partners. The ideal candidate will be a strong team player who is a creative problem solver with demonstrated abilities to learn new skills and systems quickly, and effectively handle multiple tasks.
Access the job posting and application here.
The Wyoming State Library is located on the high plains in the state capital of Cheyenne near world-class outdoor recreation with an average 250 sunny days a year. Employment with the State of Wyoming includes a generous benefits package.
The ILS system administrator reports directly to the WYLD ILS Program Manager and is responsible for the overall technical management of all aspects of the ILS, supporting automated system operations and related technologies and integrations for all libraries in the WYLD consortium. The position oversees day-to-day operations and maintenance of the SirsiDynix Symphony ILS (SirsiDynix Symphony) and the statewide online catalog (Aspen Discovery).
The incumbent uses a variety of technologies, along with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, to provide the best possible experience for library patrons and staff using the WYLD library system.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Participate in all aspects of ILS support including support incidents, custom programming using APls, and integration with third-party products such as the interlibrary loan platform, discovery layer, and other products used by statewide customers.
- Coordinate and participate in ILS software upgrades, new product implementations, and testing by statewide members.
- Recommend new products, services, customizations, and solutions.
- Recommend development priorities.
- Assist libraries with the setup and integration of peripheral hardware and other services related to the library system.
- Create technical documentation for all aspects of the library system as needed.
- Identify and communicate software functionality issues or request enhancements for the library system software and discovery layer to vendors.
- Create training materials related to the ILS and deliver in-person or remote training for library staff as needed.
- Evaluate upgrades and test all custom work to ensure continuity.
- Explore solutions designed to improve the user experience with the Discovery Layer (library catalog)
- Oversee the coordinated scheduling of all lLS reports.
- Modify and create reports to meet individual library requirements.
- Maintain awareness of developments in library services and emerging technologies.
- A Master of Library Science (MLS), Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS), Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS), Master of Information Science (MIS), or an equivalent degree.
- Three to five years’ experience supporting an integrated library system, preferably SirsiDynix Symphony and related library software and hardware.
- Familiarity with ILS related technologies and hardware such as interlibrary loan software, collection analysis tools, barcode scanners, receipt printers, and self-check stations.
- Familiarity with library technology standards and protocols such as MARC format, RDA, FRBR.
- Experience with MarcEdit or similar batch editing tools.
- Experience in command line server management and shell scripting, preferably in a Linux or Unix environment.
- Proficiency with web development tools such as HTML/CSS.
- Working knowledge of database technologies such as MySQL or Microsoft Access.
- Experience creating technical documentation.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills with an ability to work with a widely diverse group of people.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people with varying levels of computer skills, as well as the ability to make technology understandable to the library community.
- Experience in delivering in-person and virtual training.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting and independently.