YALSA, in partnership with the Association for Rural and Small Libraries (ARSL), is implementing an innovative project that will build the capacity of small, rural and tribal libraries to provide college and career readiness (CCR) services for and with middle schoolers. The project is aimed at library staff in libraries with a service population of 15,000 or fewer, as well as libraries that are 25 miles or more from an urbanized area.
Library staff may apply to be a part of a cohort of learners who will be supported by coaches and mentors, and work together to develop CCR services and resources. Cohort members will meet and work both in-person and online.
Future Ready with the Library Goals
- Library staff at rural, small, and tribal libraries will learn effective methods for planning and implementing , with a local partner, CCR initiatives for and with middle schoolers and their families
- Middle schoolers and their families in rural, small, and tribal communities will gain valuable future ready information that will better prepare them for starting a career and/or focusing on academics related to a career after high school
- Middle schoolers in rural, small, and tribal libraries will engage in valuable career exploration and workforce preparation experiences
- Library staff in small, rural, and tribal libraries around the U.S. will develop a set of model programs and tools that can be used by a wide range of communities and libraries.
Schedule for Cohort 2 application process:
- The application for cohort 2 is now open
- July 13, 2017 at 5 p.m. MDT informational webinar for potential applicants — reserve a seat online
- September 1, 2017, cohort 2 application period closes
- October 15, 2017, cohort 2 application status notifications made
Those selected to participate in the second cohort of the Future Ready with the Library project will meet face-to-face for a two day orientation just before the ALA Midwinter meeting in Denver, Colorado. For more information about the project, check out our FAQ.
You can see the list of Cohort 1 participants and read about their work on the YALSAblog.
Use this quick online form to sign up to receive email notifications about the project, including an announcement when the next round of applications opens. To access an existing compilation of college and career readiness resources, visit YALSA’s wiki.
This project is funded by the Institute of Museum & Library Services. For more information, read the full grant proposal (.pdf) or the press release.