Policies need updating? Save your wordsmithing for your holiday greetings and use the Colorado Library Consortium’s (CLiC) Public Library Policy Collection for inspiration and ideas.
The collection was established to provide small, rural libraries with easy access to a clearinghouse of policies. The database is easily searchable by keyword and has more than140 policy samples, as well as personnel manuals, job description samples, and forms/guidelines.
Recently added policies include:
- Tool lending waiver from the Lake County Library in Leadville, Colorado
- North Liberty Account Reconciliation Template from North Liberty, Iowa
- Circulation, Computer and Internet Use, and the Library Access for Sex Offenders Convicted of Sex Offenses Against Minors, all submitted from Dubuque County Iowa
- The recently-updated Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials, Resources, or Programs from the Lone Cone Library in Norwood, Colorado
- Succession Plan for Director changes from the Red Feather Mountain Library District in Colorado.
Bonus round: Everyone loves a good policy on open records requests! The one from Grand County Library District (Colorado) includes the appendices for charges for staff time and copies.
One of the most important responsibilities of library board members is the development of policies, so make updating yours a resolution for the New Year! And share your hard work with your colleagues by submitting your wordsmithed policies to CLiC for the collection.
For additional trustee resources, see the Wyoming Public Library Board Members’ Handbook.