The Colorado Historical Records Advisory Board (CHRAB), in partnership with the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), invites you to attend a FREE, 2-day, Archives and Digital Collections 101 Workshop on June 27 and 28 at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, CO.
Day 1: June 27, 2019
9:00-12:00: Morning Session
Archives 101: Understanding the Basics of Archival Theory and Practice
The morning session of the workshop, “Archives 101,” will focus on archival best practices. The workshop is geared towards those working in smaller archival repositories and those who may not have had formal archival training. Participants are encouraged to bring questions and sample items from their collections that present specific challenges in processing. FREE Archives 101 tool kits will be provided by CHRAB.
What you will learn:
- Introduction to Archives Management
- What is an archive? What does an archivist do?
- Basic archival principles and practices
- Accessioning new records
- Arrangement and description
- Basics of archival preservation, access, and outreach
12:00-1:00: Lunch provided by CHRAB
1:00-4:00: Afternoon Session
Share Your Story: A Toolkit for Creating Digital Collections
Digitization is not simply making a digital copy of an object. It is a process of collecting, reformatting, cataloging, storing, and sharing digital objects. With this workshop you will learn the fundamentals of each area of the digitization workflow: selection, digital capture, description, and sharing, and leave with a toolkit to get you started on your digitization journey. This workshop is for those that are new to digital collections.
What you will learn:
- Framework for selecting items and copyright considerations
- Basics of digital capture for preservation and access
- Metadata description for historic collections
- How to share your collection with your community near and far
Day 2: June 28, 2019 (Half day)
Collection Consultation and Dig Time
Participants will have the opportunity to sign up for a 1 hour hands on experience with the Colorado State Libraries Digitization Kits. Please bring 2 to 4 items (maximum dimensions: 8.5″ x 11.7″) to move through the digital capture workflow. You will have the opportunity to scan, create preservation and access copies, create metadata and see your items live and online.
Want to talk? Participants will also have the opportunity to sign up for 1 hour blocks of time with an archivist from CHRAB to help with topics such as:
- Donor relations
- Collection management
- User access
- Archival processing
The workshop will be held in the James A. Michener Library at the University of Northern Colorado in Room 303: 1400 22nd St, Greeley, CO 80639.
Cost, Registration, & Food
- This 2 day workshop is Free!
- Register using this online form. Feel free to sign up for both days or just one.
- Register by June 15, 2019
- Lunch on Day 1 will be provided by CHRAB
- Hotel suggestions: If you need to stay over our friends in Greeley recommend the DoubleTree by Hilton Greeley at Lincoln Park and/or the Hampton Inn & Suites
- Parking: https://www.unco.edu/library/about_us/directions.aspx
Can’t make it? CHRAB is tentatively planning another Archives and Digital Collections 101 workshop in southwest Colorado in early fall.
If you have questions about these events please email CHRAB@state.co.us.